DO WE CARE?
Although this disaster already happened few weeks ago, but we still have to concern about this issue as Muslims. Do we care about these 2 disasters?
1) Nargis cyclone in Myanmar
- Cyclone Nargis made landfall on May 5, 2008
- Nargis is the first tropical cyclone of the North Indian Ocean 2008 season
- Cyclone Nargis had sustained winds of 130 mph and gusts of 150-160 mph, which is the equivalent of a strong Category 3 or minimal Category 4 hurricane
- Although very strong winds were responsible for much of the damage, flooding and mudslides were also possible due to heavy rainfall
- Myanmar's social welfare minister told reporters on May 5 that 95 percent of the homes in Bogalay had been destroyed
- The destruction of lives and property was blamed on the 12 foot (3.6 meter) high storm surge that accompanied Cyclone Nargis²
- Official death toll exceeds 78,000 and 56,000 missing, according to state media
- (May 21, 2008) From the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs: 77,738 dead; 55,917 missing; 150,000 people displaced in 120 temporary settlements; 2.4 million people severely affected
- (May 23, 2008) 1,900 square miles of land remain under water
* source : cyclone Nargis
2) Earthquake in China
On Monday, May 12, a major earthquake, measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale, jolted southwestern China's Sichuan Province. Hundreds of aftershocks followed in the same area. The quake destroyed thousands buildings in the area, as well as infrastructure like communication networks and electrical towers.
Thousands of people died or are missing, and more than 270,000 were injured. The earthquake left an estimated five million people homeless. Many schools were destroyed, including one that had at least 900 students in it. This earthquake is the worst natural disaster to hit China in 30 years.
* source : earthquake in China
Do we care about this??
They need our help..